Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

HOW I GOT HERE - Part 2


When I was born I had a congenital heart defect called Transposition of the Great Arteries.  I ended up in Boston because they were the only hospital doing a new surgical procedure to correct the defects.  I ended up being the first to have the surgery.  I also was one of the last.  Only two of us survived.  Luckily, after three heart surgeries at Boston Children's (and one at Cincinnati Children's that I had at a few hours old) I have had very few cardiac issues related to the Transposition since.  All because of the wonderful doctors and nurses in Boston (and at the hospital I was born at and in Cincinnati) I was able to live.  My parents also gave me life by researching and choosing Boston.  I also think God had to have played a huge part.  I can't explain it any other way.  My parents, the doctors, the nurses and God gave me a chance to live.

Now that I was having new medical issues Boston seemed like the only logical choice.
In the fall of 2006 my mom and I traveled to Boston and met with the new head of the cardiology department.  He listened to me.  He was the first doctor to truly listen to me in years.  He let me explain everything -  the passing out, the dizziness, the exhaustion, the crazy heart rate, the headaches  no longer being able to walk more than a short distance, barely being to hold my head and arms up, the crazy adrenaline rushes I was having, the constant vomiting, the overheating.  He sat there and listened to everything I had to say for a few hours.  He told us he knew what was wrong.

The next morning I went upstairs and had a stress test.  I failed miserably.  My heart rate sky rocked, my blood pressure bottomed out, and I passed out after a minute or so.  She lady running the test said she'd seen people in heart failure do better than I had just done.  Right after that, and lying down for a bit, I went back to the cardiologist.

He said the test confirmed his suspension.  I had Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome or POTS, a form of Dysautonomia.  Dysautonomia literally means the dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system.  I had a diagnosis!  After years, I had a diagnosis!  It all started to make sense!

I was prescribed some medications, including Midodrine, and told to come back in a few days.
I'll never forget the first time I took Midodrine.  We went out to eat after the appointment to celebrate.  Yes, to celebrate!  We had an answer!  We were so relieved!  We were sitting at the Ye Olde Union Oyster House when the Midodrine started to work its magic.  My mom started to panic because of the look on my face.  She asked me what was wrong.  I replied, "the room stopped spinning."  I just sat there trying to take it all in all.  It was incredible.  It didn't entirely solve my vertigo and nausea, but I couldn't remember the last time the world was this still.  I'll never forget that. It was one of the best moments of my life.

The Midodrine, Florinef, and some beta blockers, along with increased liquids and sodium helped some.  It didn't solve my problems but I was satisfied.  I was in a much better place.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com